If an Indian tribe, worked through every one of the bureaucratic process while using Bureau of Indian Affairs and may build a casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos round the state, you most likely run into other people you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation furnished by the casinos. These are the same somebody that has left our town and so are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping at the stores, eating at the restaurants, and staying on the hotels within the area.
A brief history:
The ability to run bingo games was one of the numerous concessions created to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person made a bingo game that appeared as if a slot machine game. We supply seen the little digital bingo card with the top corner from the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos did start to spring up everywhere. After all, you were still playing bingo, just inside a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact relating to the tribes and the State of Oklahoma allowed the use of Vegas style slot machine games, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and better casinos were built and are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino can only be built within historic tribal boundaries and after that placed in a very trust using the U.S. government. Since Enid doesn't have any casino, is that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it was found, that ahead of the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part from the Cherokee Outlet, occupied through the Cherokee people following the Treaty of New Echota as well as the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the location was a hunting ground with the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive aspects of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are come to operate tribal governments and programs because of its citizens. In addition, a portion from the revenue is split with all the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related places of interest are built.
4. Jobs are manufactured.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found out that over 80 percent of the visitors to casinos were considering also doing something other than gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions such as family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian people.
10. Casinos supply a magnet for outside money that didn't previously exist.
11. Local resident who accustomed to travel outside with the area now stays within the region.
12. More construction jobs are made building casinos.
13. Gambling is surely an accepted way for governments to improve funds. It is seen as a source of money that is easier to obtain because it's not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities these businesses showed an boost in profits, attendance, and customers after a casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative aspects of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependancy.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time allocated to useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amounts of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: get more info Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes may also be influencing gambling along with other policies affecting Native Americans by handing quite a bit to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is an increase inside following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is termed an action addiction. When gambling, those hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more regularly, it brings about tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, therefore it takes more gambling and stakes, to get the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling lights up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an online casino were to petition arrive at downtown Enid, an amount be your opinion? Do you think it could enhance our community or bring social problems natural meats not want to deal with?